One of the most beautiful and the largest of the Sikh Shrines is the Gurdwara Janamasthan located in the heart of the town. It is built at the spot where Baba Guru Nanak Ji was born. The building with a dome was constructed to commemorate the event during 1819-20 with the approval of Maharaja Ranjit Singh. The Parkash Asthan Sahib within its premises marks the spot of the great event.
The open verandah in front of Chaukhandi was built by Mahant Sadhuram and it has been given the name of Baradari. The portion above the foyer, the tower and the boundary wall around the Gurdwara were built by the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee. The ‘Sarover’ (pond) was repaired during the reign of Ranjit Singh. Its steps were reconstructed by Baba Gurmukh Singh Ji in 1944 A.D. The ‘Sarovar’ has been built anew by Government of Pakistan with much improved plan. Moreover, a compatible ‘Jorra Ghar’ (Shoe-house) has also been added along-with Sarover.