Baba Guru Nanak Dev Ji along with Bhai Mardana Ji reached Hasan Abdal at Vesakh Samwat 1578 B.K. corresponding to 1521 A.D., in the summer season. Under a shady cool tree of piple he made his resting place. This is the place, where he stopped a big boulder, rolling down from the hill, with single hand. The impression of his hand got indelibly engraved in the stone that has been preserved for ever. The Gurdwara has been named after this sacred hand print (Panja), which takes the focal place in the Gurdwara Sahib. To meet the water requirements, Baba Guru Nanak had lifted a small stone at this place and miraculously a spring of cool water started from the spot, which adorns the Shrine now. Visitors kiss the sacred Panja Sahib, satiate the spiritual thirst from the ever-flowing spring and feel elated.
Sardar Hari Singh Nalwa built this spacious and extremely beautiful Gurdwara, along with ‘Sarovar’ during the rule of Maharaja Ranjit Singh, who also came here to pay homage.
The largest fair of Vesakhi is organized here when thousands of Sikh Yatrees come to this place from all over the world.