Built in 16th Century by Shahjehan the greatest patron of Architecture It was used as the Royal pleasure Garden by the Moghuls during 16th to 19th century. In 1818 It saw its worst days when it was destroyed by the Sikh ruler Ranjit sing and was used as stable. During English times (1842- 1947) It regained its value as the Garden and was open to Public. After English the Garden was restored by the Pakistan Government and it in use today as popular hang out site.
The Garden had beautiful fountains run with the help of camels now runs occasionally withth electric motors. It has a huge fortification wall around it built during Moghul times.
Shalimar gardens have the proud privilege of being the stage of all important state receptions. Outside its walls the annual festival of Mela Chiraghan is held every year during the year of March. Special lights on the first and second terraces of the Gardens have been installed and the area is illuminated half-an-hour after sun-set.