Gurdwara Dera Sahib is situated close to and opposite of the Lahore Fort. On its other side, adjacent to it is the famous Badshahi Mosque. This is the place where Guru Arjan Dev Ji was martyred, in the River Ravi, after having gone through the atrocities inflicted by Chandu, on 30th May 1606 A.D.
Thara Sahib (platform) was built by Guru Hargobind Ji in 1619 A.D. at the site of martyrdom, Gur Asthans, during his visit to Lahore. Later, Maharaja Ranjit Singh constructed a small building of the Gurdwara.
In 1909 A.D. construction of Parkash Asthan Manji Sahib was started for the Parkash of Guru Granth Sahib. Arrangements for daily diwan were made and an inn for the residence of the pilgrims was also constructed by Shiromani Committee in the wake of Gurdwara reform movement. In 1927 Shiromani Committee took over the charge of Gurdwara and its construction restarted on 21st April 1930 A.D. which was completed on 9th September 1934 A.D.
The domes were gold-plated, floors were cemented and the front of Gurdwara was built in marble. Parkash takes place daily. Evacuee Trust Property Board, Government Pakistan has appointed two Granthis. International Sangats visit the complex every year on Shaheedi Jor Mela, Vesakhi, death anniversary of Maharaja Ranjit Singh and birthday of Baba Guru Nanak Ji. In November 1996, Government of Pakistan built Mian Mir Residential Block, comprising 47 rooms for visitors. Guru’s ‘langar’ serves round the clock.